This Christmas season, I had seen something on pinterest that caught my eye and I thought it was a wonderful idea. It was taking a day during the holiday season and putting others first. It was such a great idea that I decided that we should do this as a family. So we printed up several cards that said, "You have been RACK'ed" and explained below that it means that we were doing Random Acts of Kindness for others throughout the day and wanted to do for others. We bought candy canes, small toys, crayons, made cards, etc. We then went around to various places such as a nursing home, the hospital, random cars, random stores, ect. and handed out things to random people with our cards attached to them. At the nursing home we took handmade cards from Hunter and Peyton and candy canes to various patients throughout the home.
We then went to the hospital and took toys to the emergency room where they keep toys for kids that come in scared or upset over sickness or injury and they give them out.
We also went to the Dollar Tree and attached a one dollar bill to a couple of toys in which Hunter and Peyton chose and left them for kids to find. Attached to each $1 was our note explaining what we were doing.
We stopped random kids and gave them gifts along the way. Some people were skeptical but once they allowed us to explain what we were doing, they were receptive and thankful for the gifts. I wish I could have counted how many times Hunter said "This is fun!" or "Can we do this again sometime?". We all had a great day and a day that we will never forget. It's easy to sit here and say we did this, we did that, but really we wanted this day to not be about us but to be about the reason for the season...showing others how special they are and the love of God hopefully shining through us! It is definitely something I hope that our family continues to do from year to year and will be something our boys remember forever!
No comments:
Post a Comment